Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Welcome Back

It's been a while since I updated this blog. I have been busy supporting Briggs & Stratton's efforts in Haiti by serving on the Board of Directors of Haiti Partners. It is such a great organization run by my new, dear friends, co-directors Kent Annan and John Engle. Since the earthquake, Haiti Partners has built 15 new schools. What an accomplishment. I hope that my role is somehow able to make a difference, but I know the support of Briggs & Stratton employees through individual donations and plant fundraisers has made a huge difference.

It's been 17 months since my visit to Haiti, but yet I can close my eyes and feel like it was yesterday...the sights, smells and sounds are still so clear to me. The needs pause me. The honor of representing Briggs & Stratton overwhelms me.

And so I sit tonight in Washington, D.C., working on legislative matters for the company, but my thoughts go to this Sunday, when I leave for Haiti for a second time. I am filled with anxiety and emotion, and much excitement. I hope there's been progress, but I am skeptical. Did our generators make a difference? In my heart I know they did, but I also know how big the needs are.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment