Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3

We headed out early to visit a woman named Aramid. She lives in one of the tent cities. She has started an organization to help sexually abused women, which is a rampant problem here. We meet her just outside her tent and she shared her story. She started her organization abour 5 years ago. She lost her office and 350 members/staff in the earthquake. She lives in a pup size tent with one mattress and10 family members. She invited me to see her home and I was humbled by her trust in me. She has now found a new space for her office, which is more important to her than having a permanent home.

She will receive one of our generators for her office.

I cried for the entire car ride back from our meeting. Aramid was violently raped as a child and her life’s mission is to help others from experiencing the same. I am unbelievably moved by her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment