Friday, June 4, 2010

In the eyes of Haitians

Over the course of time in Haiti, you have to look behind the devastation.

I’m a true believer in seeing into people’s soul what I see in their eyes. I expected to see nothing short of extreme sadness and despair in the eyes of Haitians. That’s not what I saw, however. Although there were many Haitians whose eyes held terror and sadness, I saw hope and pride and somewhat of an acceptance of who they are and where they live. Even in the eyes of Aramid, I didn’t see sadness in her eyes; I saw hope for the future and for the women of Haiti.

I sit at the airport somewhat numb, but overcome with emotion, because I don’t know how to digest my last four days. But yet, I am filled with excitement about what we can do to help the situation in Haiti.

The outpouring of emotion that I have received via e-mail from employees has brought me to tears. Thank you for all of your support, both from our employees and from outside of Briggs & Stratton. There is so much help that we can give, and I will help you figure out how to do that.

Signing off for now as my flight is boarding. Again, thank you for all of your support. I now realize that our engines never mattered more.

For more information on what’s going on in Haiti, please read an article from today’s New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/04/world/americas/04haiti.html?ref=todayspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment